Theatre Technician, QUT
Posted on Monday, April 11th, 2011
We require an energetic theatre technician to provide technical support for drama and dance showcase productions by Creative Industries Faculty students, work as crew on touring professional shows and provide technical support for events in public venues managed by QUT Precincts.
Closes: 17 April 2011
Organisational Area: QUT Precincts
Division of International and Development
Campus: Gardens Point
Salary Range/Classification: $48 461 to $50 985 pa (HEW4)
Plus Superannuation: 17% employer contribution
Contact: Nigel Oram, Technical Services Coordinator, (07) 3138 7039
HR Contact: Michelle Williams, HR Advisor, (07) 3138 4149
Open to: Australian or New Zealand citizens or Australian permanent residents
When applying for this position we encourage you to upload your response to the selection criteria.
Purpose of Position
The Theatre Technician will work as crew on touring professional productions in the Gardens Theatre and provide technical support for Drama and Dance showcase productions by Creative Industries Faculty students. The position will provide technical support for events in the Theatre foyer and Old Government House including lighting, sound and AV as required by clients.
The position reports to the Senior Theatre Technician on a day to day basis and works in a team environment with the other technicians and the Events team across the Precincts.
Under direction from the Technical Services Coordinator (who is responsible for workload management) the position will also undertake duties in all venues of the Precincts as required to assist with work overloads and providing back-up support for other staff in times of absence.
Operate as backstage crew on professional productions. Provide technical support for showcase Faculty productions. Provide technical support for events in the Theatre foyer, Old Government House, and other Precincts venues.
Provide support for annual stock take of technical equipment. Assist in undertaking routine maintenance of equipment and arrange for repairs as needed. Assist in checking and cleaning equipment. Accountable for complying with health and safety policies, procedures, hazard reporting and safe work practices. Other relevant approved duties as assigned by the Technical Services Coordinator or Senior Theatre Technician.
1. Education, training and/or relevant experience equivalent to an associate diploma in Technical Production or similar in conjunction with relevant experience.
2. Sound knowledge of operation of theatre lighting, sound, and an appropriate range of AV equipment.
3. Sound knowledge of backstage production operations.
4. Demonstrated clear communication skills to enable effective interaction with clients and events staff.
5. Demonstrated capacity to work effectively as a member of a team.
6. Demonstrated planning, and organisational abilities, and the ability to adapt in a changing environment.
7. Commitment to continuous improvement of services and high quality client service provision.