Wenona values support staff who demonstrate a positive and proactive approach to their work and have a willingness to participate fully in the life of the School. We look for enthusiastic, dedicated and capable staff who demonstrate initiative, good humour, and professional behaviour and support the values and aims of the School as a global learning community.
This position reports to the Theatre Manager.
Overview of the Theatre Assistant’s role
This position has primary responsibility of supporting the technical and operational functions of the Independent Theatre. This heritage building has a rich history, and a charter to educate and support arts and artists, and plays a vital role in Wenona’s academic program as well as promoting and maintaining links with the wider community as a venue of significance.
You will be responsible for assisting in developing and ensuring a vibrant community and creative life in the Theatre, both within Wenona and within the wider community, and helping to integrate the theatre into School life. You will achieve this by assisting in the delivery of technical and operational support to all Theatre users, ensuring that the Theatre is equipped and resourced to meet the highest standards of performance and ensure the School’s academic program needs are met.
The position also contributes to the maintenance of a positive internal culture where service, integrity and humour are valued.
Indications that this job is being done successfully would include:
- Ensure IT and audio equipment is operational in readiness for year group meetings, assemblies and classes.
- Assist with the organisation, set-up and breakdown of events
- Maintain audio systems and equipment
- Provide technical assistance in sound, lighting, AV, and stage management for external events and internal events as required.
- Perform front of house tasks as required.
- Deputise for Theatre Manager as required
This position should develop a positive set of relationships with all school personnel and the wider community with deep knowledge of all school activities.
Education and Experience
- Experience in a similar role within a school environment is desirable but not essential
- Experience in at least one of; Stage Management, Stage Lighting for Theatre or AV
- High level of computer skills, particularly in creating and troubleshooting presentations.
- Should hold or be willing to gain a Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA)
- Good working knowledge of WHS in Theatre and entertainment
- Preferred experience in Qlab and Vectorworks programmes.
- Preferred experience with ETC ION lighting desk, and PRESONUS sound desk
- Exceptional communication skills (verbal & written)
- Self-motivated, with excellent problem solving skills
- High attention to detail
- Professionalism, confidence and a positive attitude
- A flexible and adaptable approach
- A thorough understanding of all aspects of customer service, relationship building, excellent organisational capabilities and project management
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and stakeholders to achieve shared goals.
- Highly motivated self-starter with an ability to prioritise tasks, forward plan, meet deadlines and deliver results
- Interest in event managment, techinical or venue management
- A sense of humour
Wenona is an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion, sexual orientation or age.
General conditions of the role
Independent Schools NSW (Support and Operational Staff) Multi Enterprise Agreement 2015 – 2017. The salary and conditions will be negotiated with the Principal depending on experience and qualifications
Hours of work
Casual, Part time
Monday to Friday, 20 hours per week plus weekends as required
Flexible availability, mornings, afternoons, weekends. Some nights
All applications should be addressed to Wenona Principal Dr Briony Scott, Wenona School, 176 Walker Street, North Sydney, 2060 and emailed as a PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants should send full curriculum vitae, a cover letter which addresses the selection criteria, copies of qualifications and names of two referees. Please direct any questions or enquiries to PA to the Dean of Professional Studies, Ms Samantha Drabble on (02) 9409 4416.
Thursday 5 January, 2017 at 12pm.
The successful applicant for this position will be required to provide the school with a current Working with Children Check.