An exciting opportunity exists for a Senior Technician – Staging within our Performing Arts, Events and Protocol section. The purpose of this role is to lead, supervise and administer the mechanical component of the Performing Arts Section and provide a high level of service and advice to users of the Townsville Civic Theatre and Riverway Arts Centre. The role is very hands on and requires the implementation of stage plans, set construction and determine hanging plots as well as working closely with members of the Technical Unit to stage productions and other Performing Arts. Events & Protocol related activities.
The Performing Arts Section portfolio of facilities includes the Townsville Civic Theatre consisting of a 65 line counterwight fly system and a fixed grid multi-purpose room, and Riverway Arts Centre which has a winched truss system. In addition, the section oversees the use of the heritage listed Old Magistrates Court and the School of the Arts by their occupants.
On average the Civic Theatre has 165 performances per annum equating to an average of three shows a week 52 weeks of the year. The Riverway Arts Centre averages 75 performances per year but has the capacity to service the function and meeting market which increases its yearly usage by another 245 activities annually.
The Civic Theatre attracts an average of 110,000 patrons each year, and the Riverway Arts Centre for the last financial year achieved just over 49,000 people attending both functions and performances.
The Council through its Public Performance Program presents a diverse range of drama, dance, music and opera from national and international artists and organisations.
Take control of your career and join one of North Queensland’s largest and most diverse organisations, Townsville City Council, which has a strong connection to a thriving community of more than 190,000 residents. A career with Townsville City Council offers challenging and rewarding work, with outstanding opportunities for personal and career development. We know that by investing in our staff, we also get the best return for our community, so we are focused on creating a dynamic and flexible environment where people are valued and respected, enjoy the work they do and benefit from superior work conditions.
SELECTION CRITERIA >>
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and construct sets from plans
- Demonstrated ability in operating a counterweight flying system.
- Demonstrated ability in rigging.
- Demonstrated ability in stage management
- Demonstrated administrative and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work to deadlines and being able to problem-solve quickly and effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and supervise staff and provide a high level of customer services
- A practical knowledge of other technical systems including lighting, sound and audio visual.
- Proven experience in staging in a regional venue or performing arts centre.
- Demonstrated computer literacy skills with Microsoft Office Suite of Applications, Web and CAD-based programmes
- Current Queensland ‘C’ class driver’s licence
- A tertiary qualification in Theatre – Technical
- Rigger’s certificate
- Positive Notice Blue Card
- Workplace, Health and Safety Officer Certificate
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS >>
For the selection panel to consider you for this role you need to demonstrate how you meet the requirements of the position by submitting selection criteria responses and current resume. You may elect to use the following tips as a guide.
This position will require selection criteria responses with your resume.
Please email your full application (including your resume and selection criteria responses) to Recruitment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject heading referencing your name, the position number and position title – ie: Joe Bloggs 1CS999 Exhibitions Officer.