Posted on Thursday, April 6th, 2017
Part time (2 days/15 hours per week) year-round
Full Time (5 days/37.5hrs per week) 24 July – 3 November 2016 (3 months)
Extra hours through the year on specific projects as negotiated.
Basis of employment:
One year contract; option of renewal on annual review
$60,000-65,000 per annum, (pro-rata for part time) depending on experience, plus superannuation
ABOUT PERFORMANCE SPACE:
Performance Space is the crucible for risk-taking artists. Emerging over 30 years ago in response to artists’ articulated desire to explore and investigate new forms of art, Performance Space has consistently identified, nurtured and presented new directions in contemporary practice. We champion risk, experimentation, and new modes of creative expression. Performance Space continues to evolve and renew to meet the needs of the independent sector and explore new models for developing and presenting the most critical and important new work.
The breadth of our organisational and artistic activity is informed and underpinned by a commitment to diversity. Performance Space embraces a diversity of artistic and cultural perspectives as being fundamental to a vibrant and engaging experimental arts culture. We therefore privilege the work of Aboriginal artists, practitioners from diverse cultural backgrounds, artists exploring new takes on sex and gender, disability and artists pushing the boundaries of the human through experiments with new technology.
The Production Manager leads the delivery of all technical aspects of Performance Space’s projects. This includes a year-round program of residencies and artist development initiatives, and Performance Space’s annual keynote presentation event, the Liveworks Festival of Experimental Art. The Production Manager takes a lead role in the delivery of Liveworks, building and managing a team of technical and production staff whilst overseeing the planning and delivery of all festival projects from a production perspective. This position reports jointly to the Artistic Director and General Manager, and works closely with the Program Manager to ensure that projects’ needs are met within agreed timelines and budgets.
The Production Manager also liaises closely with Carriageworks’ technical and production teams; builds and maintains productive relationships with external suppliers and production partners; and maintains Performance Space’s inventory of technical equipment. The position is also responsible for conducting all relevant risk assessments and actively implementing WH&S policies. Year-round, the Production Manager also manages the acquisition and maintenance of office I.T. requirements.
- recruit, manage and supervise production and technical coordinators, as well as casual technical staff, for the delivery of Performance Space’s residency, artist development and Liveworks Festival programs, as well as casual technical staff throughout the year as needed.
- work with the Artistic Director, Program Manager and other relevant staff to develop, manage and implement a production schedule for all presentation activities, as well as the residencies and artist laboratories that form Performance Space’s year-round Artist Development Program
- work with the General Manager to liaise with Carriageworks regarding booking of spaces including co-ordinating Performance Space’s program alongside non-Performance Space events
- roster casual technical staff & technical volunteers to adequately resource the program.
- liaise with Performance Space’s programming staff, external production managers and artists in relation to the production needs of Performance Space projects, including detailed technical requirements
- co-ordinate production on all Performance Space projects as required
- secure additional equipment as required
- ensure smooth management of all bump-ins and bump-outs, delegating to temporary production staff when required
- manage temporary production staff to deliver Performance Space projects as required
- participate in debriefs with project teams
- maintain an overview of Performance Space’s technical equipment, including ongoing maintenance, repair, and acquisition of new equipment where needed
- manage the loan of Performance Space’s technical equipment to external parties and take responsibility for the annual equipment hire income target.
- conduct risk assessments and ensure any risk mitigation is followed for all projects, and report to Carriageworks and other partners as required
- implement, monitor and refine Performance Space’s WH&S policies and practices, in line with Carriageworks’ WH&S manual
- work with programming staff to secure any other permissions necessary for the presentation of work, including development applications for outdoor work
- work with the Artistic Director and General Manager to build realistic production budgets and forecast project expenditure and cash flow needs
- manage a delegated operational budget for all core production and festival activities, as well as production budgets for individual projects.
- develop and maintain effective relationships with Carriageworks, peer organisations, and colleagues and stakeholders associated with Performance Space’s program
- implement learning from debrief sessions into the ongoing planning and practice of the Production Department.
- collaborate with Performance Space’s IT contractor on managing Performance Space IT systems
- Induct artists and other key personnel into the Carriageworks building and other performance sites, as required
- Undertake other duties as required to ensure the smooth operation of Performance Space activities.
It is essential that the Production Manager has:
- a minimum of three year’s experience as a Production Manager or a similar role in the performing arts
- experience and training in theatre technical equipment, including a working knowledge of lighting, sound, and AV equipment
- experience in managing budgets
- high-level oral and written communication skills
- high-level organisational skills
- Apple OSX literate with excellent computer skills
- proven relationship and staff management skills
- demonstrated initiative and an ability to problem solve in the work-place; and
- demonstrated ability to prioritise and to juggle competing demands.
It is desirable that the Production Manager has:
- drivers, forklift and E.W.P. licences
- experience in C.A.D. and Vectorworks software
- experience in visual arts installation management and art handling expertise
- festival experience
- experience of working in a small organisation
- experience in managing and maintaining computer networks
- an understanding of, and experience in, the operations of performing and visual arts venues
Vanessa Lloyd, General Manager on 02 8571 9116 or email@example.com
TO NOTE – there is flexibility in the part time portion of this role – please call to discuss
APPLICATIONS CLOSE 5pm 19 April
FOR DETAILS ON HOW TO APPLY AND FULL POSITION DESCRIPTION –