Lighting Technician, SOH
Posted on Friday, September 30th, 2016
This role works as part of a team to deliver the highest technical services in the field of lighting. The role is customer focused and supports performers to achieve excellence in their field, drawing on high level of skills and experience as a technical operator and a formidable aptitude for, and comprehensive understanding of, lighting equipment and systems. This role leads small technical teams to deliver outstanding theatre and entertainment production services to clients. This role upholds relevant technical and WHS standards and contributes to the ongoing development of WHS awareness at the Opera House. It also contributes to the management, development, care and security of the technical equipment at the Opera House and assists in the development of skills and standards within the Theatre & Events portfolio that meet presenter and the SOH expectations.
Further more detailed information about the role and its requirements can be obtained from the role description.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Comprehensive skills and experience (minimum 3 years) in professional lighting services.
- Ability to perform lighting operational roles including lighting console operation, follow spot operation and floor electrics plot and operation to the highest standard in a live performance environment.
- Good working knowledge of lighting equipment and venue infrastructure including:
- Lighting network setup and distribution
- Moving light fixtures – setting, addressing and trouble-shooting
- Intelligent lighting fixtures including LED technology and strobes etc.
- Conventional lighting and lamp maintenance
- System fault finding
- Ability to operate market leading lighting consoles and associated programs.
- Ability to lead small teams to execute an effective and efficient outcome.
- Ability to interpret and create relevant event documents and implement technical lighting production requirements.
- Physical fitness, agility and ability to work at heights.
- Ability and commitment to work on a rotating shift basis.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively within teams and across multiple disciplines to ensure completion of work.
- Good communication skills and well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to abide by Opera House policies, particularly WHS procedures , including manual handling techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of computer related technology. .
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants are asked to include an up to date resume of no more than five pages which clearly details your relevant skills and experience and how they relate to the requirements and capabilities for the role. Applicants are also asked to address their suitability in a covering letter of no more than two pages addressing the following two targeted questions:
- Please outline your experience in lighting, specifically in live theatre.
- Please give a recent example of a show you have operated and a show you have programmed, and what lighting console was used?
Applicants MUST create a profile and submit their application electronically for this position at http://jobs.nsw.gov.au. Only applicants who apply online will be considered for this position. Please contact the Jobs NSW Helpdesk on 1800 562 679 should you have any technical enquiries. A talent pool may be created from this recruitment action for ongoing or temporary roles of the same standard that may become available over the next twelve months.
Sydney Opera House welcomes applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from diverse cultural backgrounds and people with disability.
To be eligible to apply for this position, applicants must have existing Australian work rights.
Applications will not be accepted from recruitment agencies.
Any offer of employment will be subject to a satisfactory National Police Check and Pre-Employment Health Assessment .
Job Status: Casual
Position No: SOH925
Wage: Base hourly wage of $33.84, plus a scale penalty of13.75% ($4.65 per hour), casual loading of 23.3% ($7.88 per hour), and a 9.5% superannuation contribution
Applications Close: Thursday 13th October 2016
Enquiries: Andrew Richards, Head of Lighting | firstname.lastname@example.org