The Head Technician is a key member of the Ensemble Theatre production and venue team. The role is responsible for ongoing venue maintenance and operations, and the management of safe effective installations, maintenance and use of technical equipment, including lighting, sound, AV, rigging and staging elements, at home and on tour. This role supervises all technical casual crew and venue contractors and other casual staff as necessary. It is desirable that the Head Technician is able to create simple sound effects and AV elements for use in Ensemble Theatre productions.
Key Duties include:
• Support the Production Manager and key creatives/producers in the delivery of the technical elements for all Ensemble Theatre performances, events and other related activities, at home and on tour.
• Manage and oversee the technical aspects of bump in/out of each production and other events.
• Assess technical requirements and develop budgets for potential and future productions and events.
• As directed, provide creative content for productions such as (but not limited to) sound effects, music and/or AV elements, for rehearsal and production.
• Oversee purchase, hire, delivery and return of technical items for each production.
• Provide technical specifications for proposed touring productions, as necessary.
• Attend staff meetings, technical, dress rehearsals and previews when required.
• Apply for and maintain licenses for productions as required including PPCA & APRA/AMCOS.
• Arrange archival filming for each production
• Support Production Manager in delivery of Ensemble productions and other activities by:
– Booking and supervising technical crew, including casuals and contractors.
– Training of Production Department staff including stage managers, technical crew to undertake the technical aspects of each production.
– Contributing to the creation of production schedules for each production and other events as required.
– Ensuring the technical and design aspects of a production abide by current licensing and WHS regulations
– Work with the Production Manager to identify and solve transfer challenges.
– Work with the Production Manager to ensure all technical staff have necessary qualifications and certificates, and work in a safe way in compliance with industry and company policies.
• Maintain a good working knowledge of necessary awards and legislation including the Performer’s Certified Agreement, the Live Theatre and Concert Award and relevant Workplace, Health and Safety legislation.
• Ensure a high level of Workplace, Health and Safety practice is followed
• Undertake regular testing & tagging of electrical equipment
• Undertake regular stocktake of consumable items, including tape, lamp, gel stock
• Manage and implement annual or ad hoc maintenance of venue including theatre, administration and Front of House areas within allocated budgets, as required.
• With Production Manager, develop an annual capital expenditure budget and schedule for the ongoing renewal and maintenance of the Company’s various buildings.
• Provide regular and current advice to executive management on issues of building/venue maintenance and improvements.
• Provide up to date reports of the state of the building and theatre infrastructure as required.
• Maintain an annual Fire safety Inspection, and up-to-date Fire Safety Certificate
• Maintain building alarm systems and air-conditioning units regularly
• Obtain quotes and employ contractors as necessary for maintenance work
• Extensive technical experience within a professional Performing Arts or Entertainment venue.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office and other relevant software packages including digital technologies and audio visual applications, specifically CAD, QLAB, ETC Ion and ARTNet equipment.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively both within a small team and autonomously.
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and successfully manage priorities in a high pressure environment.
• Willingness and flexibility to work extended hours as required.
• Current Driver’s License
Making an Application:
Please forward your application, including:
• A covering letter
• A copy of your resume
Email applications to Simon Greer, Production Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the words ‘Head Technician’ in your email.
For further information please contact Simon Greer (02) 8918 3405.