Head of Lighting Brisbane Powerhouse
Posted on Thursday, May 11th, 2017
A unique inner city space created within the shell of what was once a derelict powerhouse on the New Farm reach of the Brisbane River, Brisbane Powerhouse is the home for living art, ideas and experiences, representing the personality of contemporary Brisbane. We are intimate, relaxed, welcoming and engaging. Audiences and artists and makers intersect at our heart. We are a centre for contemporary culture. We are part of a vibrant, immediate urban world that is Brisbane. We are provocateurs, showmen, and pop culture intellectuals who embrace all creative disciplines and media. We are looking to the future.
Our multi-purpose destination houses several function and special event spaces; an expansive outdoor plaza with green spaces – venue for the weekly Jan Powers Farmers Markets – the riverfront restaurants Bar Alto and Watt provide excellent dining experiences and cultural and business tenants area housed in the Stores Building.
The Head of Lighting is responsible for the delivery of all lighting related services to Brisbane Powerhouse.
This position forms part of the Brisbane Powerhouse Technical Services team. As part of this team, this position provides lighting operation and installation services to all internal and external, national and international productions. The role may also involve lighting design work as required.
The position assists in managing lighting services as part of the building services facilities management.
The Head of Lighting reports to the Artistic Director through the Technical Director.
The Head of Lighting is a peer position of the Head of Staging, Head of Sound and AV and Production Managers.
Casual Lighting Staff report to the Head of Lighting
The Head of Lighting does not have a financial delegation.
Live Performance Award 2010.
- Under direction of the Technical Director, assist in the provision of a casual technical team, providing support in recruitment, assessment and staff development ensuring all staffing resource requirements are fulfilled.
- Provide theatrical lighting services, technical advice and related support and planning to all events staged by and within the Brisbane Powerhouse precinct.
- Ensure all theatrical, event, house and visual arts lighting equipment and infrastructure is maintained at a level equivalent to that of comparable venues.
- Assist in the supply of technical lighting advice on national and international theatre presentations, production techniques, theatre safety and equipment design and use.
- Operate all venue installed lighting desks, dimmer racks, patch systems, DMX distribution systems and infrastructure related to the provision of lighting services within all Brisbane Powerhouse precinct venues.
- Assist in maintaining lighting equipment assets and executing related maintenance and enhancement plans.
- Maintain and deliver an effective in house visual arts lighting system.
- Assist in monitoring and maintaining all external precinct lighting systems including precinct Dynalite and switched lighting system.
- Act a Senior Lighting Operator/Head LX on internal and external events produced by and within Brisbane Powerhouse as required. There may be instances in which the role will be required to undertake lighting design for these events.
- Provide hands on event assistance to other technical staff and productions to support delivery of all events produced by and within Brisbane Powerhouse.
- Assist the Technical Director to ensure all relevant Work Health and Safety procedures are adhered to by resident, visiting and casual technical staff.
- Assist the Technical Director to ensure all technical equipment operates effectively and all equipment is compliant with relevant Work Health and Safety legislation.
- Ensure all lighting equipment complies with relevant Test and Tag policies and electrical safety requirements and maintain Brisbane Powerhouse Test and Tag register.
- Provide support across all theatrical disciplines as required by the Technical Director.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Relevant trade qualifications in lighting, stage, production services and/or a minimum of three years relevant venue experience in a theatre company, large venue, major festival and/or entertainment environment.
- Knowledge of the Entertainment, Functions and Convention Industry, from a technical production perspective is essential.
- Ability to design, rig, operate and maintain theatrical lighting to a high professional standard.
- Superior knowledge of lighting design and operation and at least two of the following technical production areas is essential – sound design and operation, audio-visual design and operation, stage mechanical rigging and operation and stage management.
- Demonstrated ability to operate Ma Lighting, Strand and ETC theatrical lighting desks with a sound knowledge of moving light control and installation.
- Analytical and problem solving skills with ability to develop technical ideas from concept to completion and to effectively manage competing priorities and commitments.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work without supervision and take initiatives as required within overall operational framework.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and motivate work teams.
- Ability to work to a flexible time schedule when required.
- Ability to negotiate with customers, clients and trade suppliers.
- Competency in information technology systems and processes as they relate to DMX and other lighting protocol distribution.
- General office administration and computer skills, including Office, AutoCAD, WYSIWYG or other drafting software.
- Knowledge of Work Health and Safety and Equal Employment Opportunity issues, duties and responsibilities as applicable to this position.
REQUIRED SELECTION CRITERIA
- Open C class Driver’s Licence.
- DIR Intermediate Riggers ticket.
- DIR Elevated work platform ticket to 11 metres or more.
- DIR Forklift Drivers ticket.
DESIRABLE SELECTION CRITERIA
- Qualified Work Health and Safety Officer.
- DIR Gantry Crane Operators ticket.
- Restricted Electrical ticket.
- “Test and Tag” competency.
- Senior First Aid Certificate.
- Responsible Service of Alcohol.
- Working at Heights.
To apply for this role, please send a cover letter addressing the Key Selection Criteria and your curriculum vitae to our Executive Coordinator, Ang Kirkland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close at 5pm on Wednesday 24 May 2017.