ATYP Production Manager
Posted on Wednesday, March 9th, 2016
ATYP specialises in integrating professional theatre practice with supportive youth theatre process. We love working with all levels of the arts industry, from the most celebrated national companies to the smallest youth theatres. Our work supports young people from their first theatre experience to their first professional production.
Please prepare a cover letter that includes your response to each of the essential selection criteria, which are included with the position description below (3 pages maximum), your current CV, and, if desired, a maximum of 2 written references.
Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5:00pm, Sunday 20 March. Please call 02 9270 2400 for any enquiries regarding the position.
NAME OF POSITION:
ARTISTIC DIRECTOR & GENERAL MANAGER
Oversee and coordinate the production aspects of ATYP’s activities including productions, special events and independent hires.
To oversee and schedule the maintenance of ATYP facilities and equipment at The Wharf and the store in Lillyfield.
To fulfil the role of Workplace Health and Safety (WH&S) officer and ensure the implementation of ATYP’s WH&S procedures.
KEY INTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS:
The Production Manager is required to establish and maintain good communication and effective working relationships with ATYP staff, Board and management.
KEY EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS:
The Production manager is required to maintain effective working relationships with:
- Young people involved in ATYP programs
- Contracted staff and volunteers
- Production suppliers
- Sydney Theatre Company’s House Services Manager and representatives from the Walsh Bay Precinct
- PRODUCTION PLANNING:
- In collaboration with the General Manager, assist with the development of annual production and maintenance budgeting as required.
- Evaluate the technical/production and WH&S requirements of the proposed annual program of activities including the Under the Wharf Program.
- Develop plans, priorities and schedules for the smooth running of rehearsal, technical and production periods.
- Ensure creative teams are provided with technical information and budgetary parameters, and an understanding of available resources (human and physical), production and WH&S processes.
- Coordinate the costing of preliminary and final designs, and the physical, Heritage (if any) and WH&S viability of those designs in a timely manner
- Manage the production process, ensuring:
- High quality technical/production standards.
- Sourcing, rostering and management of casual technical and volunteer staff for rehearsal, bump-ins, show runs and bump-outs, and in accordance with company values.
- Implementation and adherence to production schedules and current WH&S standards and practices.
- The maintenance of costs/resources within the pre-determined budget and control of the production petty cash.
- Weekly production meetings with management, key creatives and technical staff during pre-production periods.
- The maintenance of good relations with ATYP production supporters and suppliers.
- The resolution of technical problems as required.
- Returns of hired equipment and the storing of company costumes, props and set elements.
- Meet the UTW companies in accordance with the requirements of the UTW contract.
BUILDING, FACILITIES & EQUIPMENT:
- Ensure proper storage and maintenance of the Company’s production resources and equipment including at Studio 1 & Studio 2 (The Wharf, Pier 4/5) and at the storage facility (91 Canal Rd, Lilyfield).
- Develop, maintain and regularly update a current venue technical specifications document including venue plans and an inventory of equipment and facilities.
- Prepare an annual capital expenditure list for discussion with the General Manager and monitor ATYP’s asset register to keep up to date.
- Monitor returns of Company equipment from hire agreements.
- Act as ATYP’s first point of contact for all property management issues, coordination contractors to meet ATYP / precinct needs
- In collaboration with the General Manager monitor and manage building licenses an development applications
- In collaboration with the Administrator, monitor and coordinate ATYP’s IT requirements.
IMPLEMENTATION AND MAINTENANCE OF WH&S PROCEDURES:
Fulfil the role of WH&S officer, proactively implementing and overseeing WH&S matters within ATYP venues and on its productions including:
- Establishing, developing and maintaining an WH&S and Emergency Procedures manual.
- Ensuring WH&S procedures are maintained in relation to ATYP’s facilities and equipment.
- Inducting and training of staff, contractors, volunteers and hirers on W&S matters.
- Conducting regular reviews of WH&S compliance and hazard assessments.
- Assist in the planning, programming and resourcing of small workshop showings as required.
- Attend staff meetings and other meetings as requested, including regularly reporting on activities to the Artistic Director and General Manager.
- Other duties as assigned by the Artistic Director and/or General Manager.
- Strong production management, time management and budgeting skills
- Knowledge of and experience in the technical operations of the performing arts including the ability to read and interpret plans
- Knowledge of and a commitment to WH&S procedures within the entertainment industry
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate with people of all ages
- Sound computing knowledge, including experience in the use of electronic design and lighting programs
- Leadership skills for overseeing, training and developing a small team
- Demonstrated self-motivation and the capacity to work independently and as a crucial member of a small team.
- Up to date Working With Children check
- Current First Aid certificate
- A current drivers licence
- The ability to run workshops in Production Management for young people
- Knowledge of the arts industry on a national and international level